How to Build “Boulder Shoulders” (WARMUP & WORKOUT!)
3 moves to build boulder shoulders
Strong shoulders are vital for performing innumerable exercises with good form. But due to a rather meagre range of deltoid-focused moves being widely known (and ubiquitous overtraining of abs and arms), guys able to bear Atlas-like burdens are something of a rarity these days. Here, personal trainerJames Kingintroduces three simple shoulder-stackers sure to bag you devastating deltoids in no time.
(Related: The 5-minute ab screamer)
1. Military press
The military press is a guaranteed bulking banker and should be a mandatory exercise for anyone serious about weightlifting. “This is the ultimate compound pressing exercise for your shoulders,” says King.
- Set the bar up in a power rack or squat rack so you don’t have to clean the weight up to your shoulders to start the exercise. Your grip should be just wider than shoulder width.
(Related: 4 ways to do more pull-ups)
- Starting with the weight resting on your upper-chest and shoulders, press the bar up in front of your face, extending the elbows just before they lock out.
- Return the weight under control to your upper-chest to complete the rep. “Do not bounce, use your legs, or use your hips to get the weight up, as this would be a push-press,” says King. “We want shoulders only.”
2. Arnold press
The Arnold press – created by the Predator-pounding Governator himself – can be completed sitting or standing.
- Grab a dumb-bell in each hand and curl the weights to the top position of a dumb-bell curl. This is your starting point.
- Rotate your hands and bring the dumb-bells to either side of your head. Then, raise them overhead but don't lock out your arms.
(Related: How much muscle can I build in a month?)
- As you lower the dumb-bells, rotate your arms until you return to the starting point. “The Arnold Press is an excellent way to improve overall shoulder bulk and definition and change up a shoulder workout routine,” says King.
3. Lateral raise
- Stand with dumb-bells in front of your thighs with your elbows slightly bent.
- Then, raise your upper arms to your sides until your elbows are at shoulder height. Maintain your elbows' height above or equal to your wrists.
- Lower and repeat. “Maintain a slight bend through the elbows – a 20 degree angle – throughout the movement,” advises King.
Video: Build Huge Shoulders - All 3 Heads!! (FRONT, MIDDLE, REAR)
How to Trap a Backyard Bird
How to Stop Emotional Shopping Once and For All
6 Fool-Proof Stir-Fry Recipes
Hyaluronic acid for skin care – uses, benefits of hyaluronic acid
How to Visit Universal Studios Orlando
Peanut Butter Cup Pie
Celebrities Who Do Street Style The Sexy Way
Xartemis XR Reviews
How to Nail a Horizontal One Turn
Friend Breakups: Why Not All Friendships Last Forever
10 Ways to Get Skinny, Healthy and Fit in Your 20s
Why Chrissy Teigen Skipped the Lipstick for Her Second Becca CosmeticsCollab
Bomb Found in University of Central Florida Dorm Room
How to Take the Back Off a Samsung Galaxy