Church holiday May 6
The Holy Great Martyr George the Victorious - May 6
The HOLY GERMAN GEORGY OF THE VICTORY, born in Cappadocia (Asia Minor), grew up in a deeply religious Christian family. His father accepted a martyr's death for Christ, when George was still in childhood; the mother, who owned the estates in Palestine, moved with her son to her homeland and raised him in strict piety. Enrolling in the Roman army, George, handsome, courageous and brave in battles, was noticed by the emperor Diocletian and was taken into his custody by one of the senior military leaders. Learning about the decision of the pagan emperor to give complete freedom to the rulers in the massacre of Christians, George distributed his inheritance to the poor, dismissed the slaves and came to the Senate, where he openly opposed the imperial plan, and called on everyone to recognize the true faith in Christ. Stunned by a bold speech, the emperor tried to persuade him not to destroy his youth, glory and honor, but to bring, according to the custom of the Romans,sacrifice to the gods; when he decisively refused, the squires, on the orders of the angry emperor, began to push St. George out of the assembly with spears in order to take him to prison. But the deadly steel itself became soft and bent as soon as the spears touched the body of the saint, and did not cause pain.
In the dungeonTo the Holy Great Martyr George the VictoriousThey beat their feet in pads and crushed their breasts with a heavy stone. The next day, he was tied to a wheel, under which were arranged boards with iron tips. As the wheel spins, sharp blades cut through the naked body. At first the sufferer called out loudly to the Lord, but soon calmed down, not letting out a single groan. Diocletian decided that the tortured had already died, and, having ordered to remove the tortured body from the wheel, he went to the temples to offer thanksgiving. At this moment around it darkened, thunder struck, and a voice was heard: "Do not be afraid, George, I am with you." Then a marvelous light shone and an Angel of the Lord appeared at the wheel in the form of a radiant youth. And he barely laid his hand on the martyr, saying to him: “Rejoice!” As St. George rebelled healed. When he again appeared before the emperor, the latter did not believe his eyes and thought it was a different person or a ghost.In perplexity and horror, the pagans peered at St. George and were convinced that a miracle really happened. Many then believed in the life-giving God of Christians. The fierce emperor, without losing hope to break George, betrayed him to a new terrible torture. Dropping into a deep ditch, the martyr was covered with quicklime. Three days later, he was dug up, but found unharmed. They shod the saint in iron boots with red-hot nails and with beatings drove to the prison. He was beaten with oxen veins so that his body and blood were mixed with the earth, but the courageous sufferer, supported by the power of God, remained unmoved. Deciding that the magic helps the martyr, the emperor called the sorcerer Athanasius to be able to deprive the saint of miraculous power, or poison him. Magus presented George with two bowls with drugs, one of which was to make him humble, and the other to kill him. But the potions did not work.
Knowing that neither magick, nor the gods led to him could ever resurrect the dead, the emperor, in order to shame the saint, ordered him to resurrect the dead in his eyes. To this the martyr said: "You tempt me, but for the salvation of the people who will see the work of Christ, my God will do this sign."And when George was led to the tomb, he cried: "Lord! Show those to come that you are the only God in all the earth, that they may know you, the Almighty Lord. ” And the earth shook, the tomb opened, the dead man came to life and left it. Seeing the manifestation of the almighty power of Christ, the people wept and glorified the True God. Magus Athanasius, leaning at the feet of George, confessed Christ the Almighty God and asked forgiveness for sins committed in ignorance. However, the emperor did not understand: he was furious and ordered to decapitate Athanasius and the resurrected man, and George was again imprisoned in a dungeon. At night, the martyr George prayed earnestly, and when he fell asleep, he saw the Lord himself, who raised him with his hand, hugged him and said: "Do not be afraid, but dare and be worthy to reign with Me." The next morning at the court at the temple of Apollo, the emperor offered George a new ordeal - he suggested that he become his co-regent.
The martyr replied with feigned readiness that from the very beginning the emperor should not torment him, but show similar mercy, and expressed a desire to go immediately to the temple of Apollo, ostensibly to sacrifice the gods there.Approaching the idol, he made the sign of the cross and addressed him as if he were alive: “Do you want to accept the sacrifice from me like God?” The demon who lived in the idol shouted: “I am not God and none of those like me is God. God is the only one that you preach. We, out of the angels serving Him, became apostates and, obsessed with envy, seduce people. ” "How dare you be here when I came here, the servant of the True God?" Asked George. There was a noise and crying, the idols fell and were crushed. The priests and many of the crowd attacked the martyr in frenzy, tied him up, started beating him and demanding the immediate execution. At the place of execution, George in a fervent prayer asked the Lord to forgive the tormentors, who did not know what they were doing, and led them to the knowledge of the Truth. Calmly and courageously, the saint laid his head under the sword. It was May 6 (April 23), 303 years.
Of the many miracles performed by the great martyr George the Victorious, the most famous thing happened in his homeland, in the city of Beirut, where many idolaters lived. Near the city, near the Lebanese mountains, there was a large lake in which there lived a huge snake. Coming out of the lake, he devoured people, and the inhabitants could do nothing, because the air was contaminated from his breath alone. Every day, residents had to cast lots to eat the snake of their children.The time came for the king to send her only daughter to the lake, dressing her up in the best clothes. The girl cried bitterly, waiting for the hour of death. Suddenly, St. George rode up on her horse with a spear in his hand. The girl begged him not to stay with her in order not to die. But the saint, seeing the serpent, made himself a sign of the cross and with the words: "In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" rushed at him, pierced the throat of the serpent with a spear and trampled him with a horse. Then he told the girl to tie the snake with his belt and, like a dog, to lead to the city. The inhabitants fled in fear, but the saint stopped them with the words: "Do not be afraid, but trust in the Lord Jesus Christ and believe in Him, for it is He who sent me to you in order to save you." Then George killed the serpent with a sword, and the residents burned him outside the city. Twenty-five thousand people were baptized then, not counting women and children.
The Holy Great Martyr George the Victorious, could become a talented commander and surprise the world with military exploits. He died when he was not even 30 years old. Eager to unite with the Heavenly army, he entered the history of the Church as the Victorious. With this name he became famous from the very beginning of Christianity and in Holy Russia.He was an angel and patron of the great builders of Russian statehood and Russian military power. From the time of the founding of the Moscow principality, George the Victorious — the rider striking the serpent, became the emblem of Moscow and the emblem of the Russian state. The insignia set in honor of the saint - St. George's Cross and St. George Medal - were the most honorable awards in the old Russian army and were awarded only for feats performed on the battlefield. See also on the subject of all church holidays in May and a functional calendar, where it is convenient to watch what is the church holiday of May today.
Signs on the Church holiday May 6
- Egori unlocks the earth.
- Egori begins spring, Illya (August 2) ends his summer.
- If the spring Egoriy with food, then the autumn Nikola (December 19) will be with a bridge (that is, the winter will be established, there will be a good toboggan way).
- Sena suffices: from a fool to Yurya, and from a reasonable one to Nikola (May 22).
- Egor with water, and Nikola with grass.
- On Egor frost - will be millet and oats.
- On Egor frost - buckwheat good (Tambov region.).
- When there will be frost on Georgia and it will be repeated in a week, then you should expect a warm autumn (Tambov region).
- As on Egoryevskaya night it will freeze, so forty matinees will fall on bread.
- Yuri dew lowered. Throw a beast on Yuriev dew.
- On Yurya dew - there will be good millet.
- On Yurya dew - do not need horses oats.
- Yuriev dew from the evil eye, from seven ailments.
- Roll on Yurieva dew to get health.
- Rain on Yurya - cattle is an easy year. Snow on Yurya is a crop for buckwheat, for Yurya rain is buckwheat.
- At Egorya in some places plowed arable land. Yuri begins field work, Yuri and ends. Early sowing, spring - with Yuria (Voronezh region).
- Early spring sowing - with Egorya, late - with Eremey (May 14) (Yaroslavl region).
- Do not brag on Yuryev sowing day, brag on Ny-Colin grass.
- A clear morning on Yurya - early sowing, a clear evening - late (Novgorod region).
- This early pea to George, later - after George (Nizhny Novgorod province).
- Whoever sows oats from Egor, he does not remove the grain, but the straw. This millet from Egor, stop Nicola (Tambov region).
- From George begin to plant beets, sow carrots and seedlings, from May 6.
- Agricultural signs on Egoryev's day do not always coincide in localities, but practically throughout the entire territory of Russia, the first pasture of livestock in the field was timed to the Egoryev Day,which was perceived as a great holiday and was accordingly decorated with various actions, rites, songs and sentences. On Yegoria the cattle was driven out into the field by a willow, cut off on Palm Sunday. They carried a table in the field, put an icon on it and served a prayer service. This day was considered a holiday of shepherds, they were presented, fed in the field of worldly scrambled eggs. On Egor the shepherd is being pumped so that he does not sleep during the whole summer.
- George the Victorious is considered the patron of livestock, and he is asked to protect, protect sheep, cows, horses.
- The greatest power has a prayer to him precisely on Egorev day, during the first grazing of livestock for pasture.
- In Smolensk province Yegoryev day May 6, was marked thus:
- "... in every house in front of the pasture of the cattle, the host and hostess light a" passionate "candle in front of the icons, cover the table with a clean cloth, put whole round bread on it, put a full salt-cellar on the table and pray to God. Then the owner takes the icon of St. George, the passionate candle, and the landlady - bread and salt, and walk around the yard all around their cattle, saying: "Saint Yegory-father, we give you all the cattle in your hands and ask you: keep it from the beast's fierce,from a dashing person! ”Then they put the lock and key on the ground under the gate:“ To keep the animal’s mouth so tightly locked, how the lock is locked with a key! ”And they put the icon over the gate and drive the cattle into the street”.
- In some places Egorev day, the church feast on May 6 included ceremonies caused by taking care of horses. For example, horses washed, bathed, fed crosses baked in Baptism.
- St. George is perceived not only as a protector of livestock, but also as a master of forest animals. "Every beast is near Yegorius."
- On the afternoon of May 6, the arrival of the swallows was also connected, and they began to listen to the voice of the cuckoo.
- Cuckoo to Egoria - to crop failure and cattle fall.
- When the first cuckoo bryakni money to drive.
- From spring Yurya transactions and hiring were made - by Simon's day (September 14), until Pokrova (October 14) or Zagovleniya (November 27).
- From Egor opened the season round dances.
- With Egor round dances, with Dmitry (November 8) sit-round gathering.
Canned beet and carrot juice
Openwork pattern knitting Raindrops: get incredibly beautiful things
Who and how to give tea
We knit socks with Owl pattern
What to do if sex is no longer your joy
All the symptoms of fungus on the legs and nails