How to deal with age discrimination?
There are many types of discrimination, and one of them is ageism. He may have different manifestations, and it is necessary to fight him.
The essence of the concept
What is ageism? This is discrimination based on age. It manifests itself in readiness and desire to take seriously and adequately only those people who meet predetermined age criteria. Moreover, this separation is often not justified and is associated with the stereotypes that exist in modern society.
The phenomenon appeared relatively recently, and the term introduced into use by R.N. Butler, who was the director of the American Institute of Aging. Moreover, he had in mind the discrimination of representatives of some age groups by others. Unfortunately, ageism is present in many countries, and it is based on such indicators as labor productivity and productivity.
Psychologists distinguish several types of ageism:
- Janeism presupposes discrimination of older people and their preference for younger ones.Persons who have crossed a certain age threshold are perceived as inferior, having no idea about the modern world and its trends.
- Edaltism implies discrimination against young people and an emphasis on young age, which is perceived as being young, stupid, and lack of life experience.
- Chronocentrism is the exaltation and imaginary superiority of one era over others.
- Edalttocentrism is an exaggeration of the egocentrism of adults.
Ageism can manifest itself in different spheres of life. So, with age discrimination, many face at work or in employment. And in this area manifestations of ageism are so frequent and obvious that they have become a real phenomenon, moreover, absurd. For example, older people are denied admission for a variety of reasons, including lack of energy, inability to think creatively, sluggishness, reduced efficiency and stress resistance, lack of goals and ambitions.
Young applicants are faced with frequent failures, justified by the lack of need of experience. It turns out that only middle-aged people can get a position, but employers themselves define this “middle ground”, and often it is subjective.In addition, there is discrimination among employees: the older ones consider themselves experienced, which instills uncertainty in the young.
Another area of manifestation of ageism is interpersonal relations, including friendship and interaction between the sexes, including marriage. Discrimination occurs even in friendship: one of the friends may seek to patronize the other, explaining that by his youth and stupidity. With regard to relations between the sexes, to a large extent, ageism applies to women.
There is a stereotype according to which the fair sex older than 30-35 years will not be able to meet the second half, and for various reasons, including the lack of attractiveness, high demands and others. But young men are often perceived as untenable, frivolous and dependent.
Surprisingly, manifestations of ageism are present even in medicine. So, some doctors consider young people a priori healthy and refuse to conduct surveys. And the elderly face another problem: many of the symptoms of physicians are attributed to the consequences of inevitable age-related changes, and not to signs of disease.
As a result, help is not provided in a timely manner, and this leads to serious consequences. Also, age-related discrimination is faced by specialists themselves, especially young ones, who are considered to be insufficiently experienced.
How not to be offended?
How to deal with ageism? To exterminate it in a global sense can only be through public involvement and wide publicity. But, firstly, such measures are not always effective, and secondly, modern people, unfortunately, are often influenced by stereotypes. Thirdly, in society there is often no place for compassion, understanding and compassion, and unless a particular person is faced with a problem, he will not consider it important.
Finally, some tips for those who have had to face age discrimination:
- Get rid of your own stereotypes and fears. This will allow you to become more self-confident and defend your point of view, which is very useful, for example, when looking for work.
- Develop, gain new knowledge and learn skills. Skills are useful in any case: firstly, they can help prove their abilities and get a position; secondly, the learned useful information will help you find yourself and your business, including opening a business.
- Learn to prove your point of view, defend the opinion, correctly demonstrate the ability and advantageous to emphasize the best qualities.
- Change your life for the better and do not be afraid of change, because some of them can open up a lot of new opportunities.
- Increase self-esteem. Self-confidence is useful in all walks of life, including professional activities and relationships.
- Love yourself, it is very important. Love to yourself will change the attitude of others to you, it will be an incentive to become better and help you survive the difficulties.
It remains only to wish everyone not to face Ageism, and also not to discriminate against the age of other people.
How to kiss
This is what happens if you spray a wall fabric softener
Top 10 best dandruff shampoos
Signs of fasting onions
Beautiful cocktail dresses 2013 (42 photos)
DIY gift wrapping: master class
Creative Nightlight Drop
Why wristwatches stop