What is rogue software?
How to Distinguish Between a 'Rogue Antivirus' and a 'Legit' One
Memorize a few names of "legit" antiviruses.This way you may know which is rogue and which is legit. A few legit antiviruses are McAfee, AVG, Avast!, Norton, and Kaspersky. Some of these are free (like Avast and AVG) and some of these have a trial version and a paid version (like Norton or McAfee).
Memorize a few names of rogue antiviruses as well.Here is an incomplete list of rogue antiviruses that you can find on Wikipedia:
Don't be taken in by instant online scans.Some rogues use fake Windows Security Center alerts or popup ads that mimic Windows notifications or claim to have scanned your computer. The people who make them are crafty. If there is a "Don't Download" or "Cancel" button on the fake error message, don't click it; that would still download it. If something like that happens, it's not too late- go to Recycle Bin and delete the rogue and do a hard shutdown (press and hold power button on computer for 10 seconds) immediately. (Legit antiviruses don't use these ways of advertising.)
- Most rogues have extremely outrageous security results. Most legit antiviruses are honest and don't point out these non-existent viruses. On the contrary, rogue antiviruses claim that critical system processes (such as Task Manager) are viruses. This is because programs such as Task Manager can cut off its function, making it vulnerable.
- Some rogue antiviruses claim that the money you pay goes to a charitable cause. Green Antivirus, a rogue, claims that of the money you paid goes to a foundation to protect the Amazon Rainforests.
Be careful.Rogues can make you pay a lot of money for the fake!
When you think you have downloaded a rogue antivirus, another good way to tell is to open the legit Windows Security Center (if you have Windows).If the "Antivirus" section was red and "OFF" -- but now has a green circle with "ON" written next to it, the program is legit. If it still says "OFF," chances are this software is a rogue (although the good free antivirus is not necessarily known by Windows).
Never trust or use an online scan.If there are links that redirect to an online virus scan, don't click on them, as they may be fake or malware.
When you download one of the legit antiviruses that was put in the 1st step, make sure you don't download from random sites.There are some sites that download rogues which pretend to be McAfee, Avast, and AVG. Make sure that you are downloading from the official site.
- Sites where any user can upload files or folders for others to download often allow malware, so don't download from them.
Beware of sites you go to!A website, GOGGLE.com (which pretends to be GOOGLE.com) downloads a rogue called Spy-Sheriff without your permission.
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- If you think you may have a rogue antivirus, then search (Google) this: "[insert program name here] removal guide". If there are a lot of results or webpages discussing removing that and calling it a virus or spyware, then the software is an example of "rogue". wikiHow also has lots of guides to removing rogues, which are helpful.
- Trust the boxes not pop ups. It's always better to buy a virus protector in real life with the boxes, rather than downloading it. Scams are supposed to steal your credit card information and waste your money. Your safest bet is buying an anti-virus in real life.
- When looking for removal guides, if you choose to manually remove things, be sure that you know how to properly use Task Manager and regedit. Deleting the wrong process/registry value or doing the wrong thing could screw up your system and make your computer completely unusable.
Video: Antivirus vs Anti-Malware | Dispelling the Myth
30 Wedding Signs You Need at Your Wedding
Beauty and the the Beast Emma Watson trailer
Pancreas Anatomy Diagram
1. Dom Pérignon Rose Gold (Mathusalem, 6 Litre) 1996 — 49,000
10 Tips to Help You Start a Meditation Practice
Why Soup Cleansing Is Winter’s Answer to the JuiceDetox
How To Use Multani Mitti For Oily Skin
The Space Between My Crown and Jaw Attracts Food
Is It Better to Exercise Inside or Outside
La sartén por el mango
Date: 12.12.2018, 08:12 / Views: 92445