What Acid at a Hippie Festival Felt Like | Story & Trip Guide
How to Make a Good Trip to Moscow
Arrange your trip.Get a Russian Visa. Buy an airplane or train ticket, and book a room in a hotel.
- Hotels (known as гостиницы in Russian) are very expensive in Moscow, so you may want to consider booking a hostel instead. They are much cheaper and you might see and talk to many people from other countries.
- Moscow has several airports. Make sure your travel plans to your hotel or other accommodations take your arriving ariport into account.
- Taxis are available at the airport, but many drivers speak only Russian. Come prepared with the address written or printed out (in Russian) to give to the driver if you are not comfortable speaking Russian.
Pack for the season.If you're going in winter, pack a lot of warm clothes. If it's summer, bring hot-weather clothes.
- It's always best to bring a jacket of some sort, even in the summer. The temperature drops at night.
Decide how you're going to travel in Moscow.You could use either the Metro (subway) or a rental car, but the Metro is better because of the traffic.
- Driving in Moscow isnotrecommended for foreigners.
Buy tickets for the Metro, even if you choose to travel by car.The design of the Moscow Metro is known to be one of the most beautiful in the world.
- Tickets can be purchased at any Metro station. If you will be in Moscow for an extended period of time, you can buy a "Troika" card that can be used on a buses, trolley-busses and the Metro.
Buy a map of the city and the Metro.Usually all the places of interest are shown on the map of the city.
Buy the magazine "Afisha" or "Dosug".In these, you can find everything about cultural life of Moscow, including popular movies, theatres, museums and so on.
Visit the Tretyakov Gallery.It is a brief walk from the Kremlin across a beautiful pedestrian bridge. There is a pedestrian-only street and lots of sculpture. The museum is filled with works by Russian artists.
- Alternatively, you can reach the Tretyakov Gallery by taking the Metro to the Tretyakovskaya (Третьяковская) station.
Take a boat-trip on the Moscow river.
Dedicate a day to touring the Red Square and the Kremlin.
Go to Cafe Pushkin for an excellent meal.
Go to Arbat street (also known as simply "The Arbat") to buy some Russian souvenirs.
- The Arbat contains many shops. Don't be afraid to shop around for the best price. You can often haggle to get better prices at the souvenir shops, don't be afraid to try to talk the prices down a little. Many of the shop workers speak English.
An alternative to the Arbat for souvenirs is theIzmailovsky Souvenir Market.Take the dark blue Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya line to station Partizanskaya and make a day at this Russian style county fair/carnival/flea market.
Looking to get away from the casinos, Coca-Cola billboards, McDonalds and other signs of western influence on this Slavic nation's capitol?Hoping to find a piece of pre-Glastnost U.S.S.R? Then go to theAll Russian Exhibition Center, the former Soviet Union'sExhibition of Economic Achievements. Kind of like a SovietEpcot Center, this lovely (and large!) park was created to highlight each of the former Soviet Republics' cultural and economic achievements. It can be reached by taking the gold (#6) metro line to the VDNKH station. Check out the following link for a detailed description from the NY Times:
Visit Gorky Park.The park was redesigned and renovated in 2011 and makes for a nice place to spend an afternoon along the river.
- Take one of the red or brown lines to the Park Kultury Metro station and walk south across the bridge to reach Gorky Park.
Enjoy your trip!
QuestionDo summer nights get cold in Moscow?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo, summer nights do not get particularly cold. You'll be fine as long as you're not planning on sleeping outside or anything.Thanks!
QuestionHow cold does Moscow, Russia get in the winter?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFrom my experience (I lived in Moscow for 5 years), the winter nights can get as cold as -22 degrees Fahrenheit, but during the day, the temperature usually hovers around 10 degrees Fahrenheit.Thanks!
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- Take some time (perhaps on your flight/train) to learn the Cyrillic alphabet. Being able to sound things out makes navigating the streets a lot easier.
- Try to learn some basic Russian. It could be very helpful, and a number of Russians will appreciate that you put in that effort to learn.
- The metro ticket costs about a dollar (25 rubles). If you buy many tickets at the same time it will be cheaper.
- Like Tokyo, Moscow's Metro can be extremely crowded. Personal space is virtually non-existent.Moscow Metro is the most beautiful in the world. Old stations are pieces of Art.
- At Cafe Pushkin try Russian dumplings.
- Moscow's subway is awesome. You can spend several days just riding and looking at the art in Moscow's subway.
- Like many other cities, Moscow has some pickpockets. Don't let your eyes off of your things and always be on high alert..
- Only take official taxis in Moscow. Do not accept rides from car-owners. It's dangerous!
- Write down or pin the address of the embassy of your country.
- Do not drink tap water without purifying it first:
- Boil the water for 2 minutes to kill microorganisms.
- Allow it to stand undisturbed for 12 hours or more, then transfer the water to another container, leaving the last pint to remove sediments.
- One of the most expensive streets in Moscow is Arbat. Don't buy anything there if you don't want to become bankrupt. Everything sold there can be gotten for lower prices at other stores.
- There are streets which are impossible to cross safely. Look for underground pedestrian tunnels.
- If a feral dog comes to you, do not harass it in any way. Ignore it, and it will leave you if it is healthy.
Video: 25 TRAVEL HACKS TO MAKE YOUR NEW TRIP EASY AND SAFE
Using Magnets to Cure Infection
How to Help Someone Recover from Verbal Abuse
3 Things You Can Do With Swiss Chard
How to Cope After Loss of a Love
Does Soy Milk Affect Estrogen Levels
How to Audition for The Voice
Kourtney Kardashian Swears By This 5 Drugstore Face Mask to Dry OutPimples
How to Set Up a Natural Environment for Pet Snails
Kenzo SpringSummer 2019 Collection – Paris Fashion Week
How to Bake Healthy Cookies
Date: 17.12.2018, 02:35 / Views: 81455