how to style FAUX FUR! WHAT TO WEAR with faux fur coats!
How to Wear Faux Fur
Faux fur is a glamorous and conscientious alternative to animal fur clothing. Just as with regular fur, faux fur tends to be a fashion statement, so it makes sense to plan the rest of your outfit around your faux fur piece. Consider the color and style of your faux fur garment when choosing the rest of your outfit, and also consider how casual or dressed up you are trying to look on that particular day. By making your faux fur piece the center of your outfit and dressing around it, you will be able to form a perfect, seamless outfit.
Dressing Up a Faux Fur Coat
Make the coat your statement piece.If you are wearing your faux fur coat to a special event or just want to look nice, remember that simplicity is the key to elegance. Because faux fur is such a lush and eye-catching material, make the your faux fur coat the statement piece of your outfit.
- Try not to wear especially bright clothing, or anything that catches the eye too much. Also don’t wear any other bold textures like snakeskin or pleather.
Consider the length of your coat.In general, mid length or long length faux fur coats tend to be more formal, whereas short coats tend to be more casual. Try to wear a longer coat if you are trying for a more formal look.
- If you have a short faux fur coat that you want to wear in a formal context, pair the short coat with a mid length or short dress along with heels to dress up the coat. A long dress or skirt can look mismatched when paired with a short coat.
Compliment the color of your coat.If you are trying to dress up your faux fur coat, pay attention to its color. In general, more traditional colors like tan, brown, black or white faux fur coats tend to work better in elegant outfits. Compliment the color of your coat by wearing other neutral colors.
- You can still wear non-neutral colors and still look formal and elegant, just try to wear dark or muted tones like deep blue or dusty rose as opposed to brights or neons.
Keep your silhouette streamlined.Even the most chic faux fur coat can be somewhat chunky, so to stay looking formal it’s important to keep the other pieces in your outfit somewhat fitted.
- Wearing a pencil dress or gown with a straight silhouette underneath your faux fur coat keeps your outfit looking formal.
- You can still look formal and stylish wearing pants with your faux fur jacket. Wear dark or neutral-colored skinny or straight leg pants with your fur coat.
Wear minimal accessories.Because your faux fur coat is your statement piece, cut back on the amount of accessories that you normally wear. Instead of wearing multiple large and chunky accessories, try to wear either a few thin and minimal accessories, or one bold accessory.
- For example, you could wear a couple of thin bangles, a ring and stud earrings. Alternatively, you could wear a pair of diamond drop earrings or silver chandelier earrings and no other accessories.
- Try to wear good quality, formal looking accessories if you are trying to dress up your coat. Wearing plastic or low-quality accessories will detract from the classiness of your coat.
Wear heels or nice shoes.Even if the rest of your outfit is perfect, wearing the wrong pair of shoes can completely change your outfit. If you are going for a chic look, wear a pair of heels or heeled boots with your fur coat. If you don’t want to wear high heels, wear a pair of low-heeled shoes that still look dressy.
- Try to wear neutral colored shoes or shoes in muted or dark tones.
- If you are going for a formal look, don’t wear shoes that look clunky or are overly bright,
Wearing a Faux Fur Coat Casually
Wear neutrals or one bold color with a neutrally-colored coat.If you are going for a casual or everyday look, you have a little more leeway with how you want to style and accessorize your outfit! If you are wearing a traditionally colored neutral faux fur coat, you can either stick to neutrals, a mix of neutrals and muted tones, or neutrals and one bold color.
- For instance, if you are planning a casual neutral outfit, you may decide to pair a tan faux fur jacket with a white sweater, dark jeans, and a stylish pair of black and white sneakers.
- If you want to wear an outfit that includes a bold color, you may choose to wear a light brown faux fur coat with a bright red dress and dark brown low-heeled booties.
Wear neutrals with a brightly colored coat.One great thing about faux fur is that it can come in all sorts of fun colors! Brightly colored fur coats are very trendy and fun, but it can be difficult to know how to wear them. The best rule of thumb is to wear neutral or muted tones with a bright coat so that your outfit isn’t doing too much.
- For instance, if you have an emerald green shaggy coat, you may choose to pair it with a simple white T-shirt, black skinny jeans, a brown purse and white trendy sneakers.
- If you have a colored faux fur coat in a muted color, you can get away with wearing one bright color along with neutral or muted tones. For instance, if you have a light pink faux fur coat, you can wear it with light blue jeans, a black top, a bright red beanie and gray sneakers.
Accessorize your coat for a funky look.Accessorizing a faux fur coat for a casual look is fun because you can wear bold or even tomboy-ish accessories for a funky look.
- For a causal, feminine look, wear a chunky rose-gold watch with your coat along with a pair of hoop earrings.
- For more of a tomboy look, wear a dark beanie and a large pair of sunglasses.
Coordinate your shoes with the rest of your outfit.Just as with accessories, you have more shoe options if you are wearing a faux fur coat casually. Take cues from your coat and the rest of your outfit when choosing what kind and color of shoes to wear.
- If you are already wearing one or two bright colors, wear neutral-colored shoes. For instance, if you are wearing a white faux fur coat with dark red pants, wear neutral colored shoes like tan boots or black sneakers.
- Wear sneakers for a more causal outfit. If you are running errands or going for a funky look, wear a pair of sneakers along with your faux fur coat. Go for a trendy pair of sneakers rather than tennis shoes.
- Wear heels for a combination of casual and chic. Create an outfit that falls in between casual and dressy look by wearing an outfit like a shaggy tan fur coat, leather leggings and black stilettos.
Wearing Other Faux Fur Garments
Wear fur faux accessories for a more subtle look.Faux fur isn’t only for coats; there are countless faux fur accessories out there including faux fur hats, headgear and stoles, faux fur-trimmed boots and gloves, and even faux fur purses. Wearing a faux fur accessory is a good way to wear faux fur if you don't want to go for the full-on look of a coat.
Limit the number of faux fur accessories you wear.Although faux fur accessories are more subtle than a faux fur coat, it's still a good idea to wear one or two faux fur accessories maximum.
- If you have a bold accessory like a faux fur bag, try to make this your only faux fur accessory. If you have a more subtle faux fur accessory like faux fur trimmed gloves, you can pair your gloves with a faux fur hat. Try to wear approximately the same color faux fur so that it looks like they match.
Mix and match faux fur coats and accessories carefully.It’s hard to pull off multiple faux fur garments, especially if one of those garments is a faux fur coat. The best rule of thumb is to not wear other faux fur items if you are already wearing a faux fur coat, but it is something that you can do if you pick the right piece.
- If you are already wearing a fur coat, pick a small dark or neutral colored faux fur accessory. For instance, if you are wearing a brown faux fur coat, wear a black faux fur headband or brown faux fur-lined gloves instead of wearing a large faux fur handbag or scarf.
Dress a faux fur vest up or down.Faux fur vests are trendy items that can be extremely glamorous or funky and cool, depending on how you pair them. Creating your outfit around your faux fur vest is very similar to creating an outfit around a faux fur coat, except that since vests don’t have sleeves, the kind of top you wear under your vest is very important.
- For a chic, glamorous look, wear a tank top underneath your faux fur vest so that your arms are exposed. You may also choose to wear black leather leggings or dark colored skinny jeans, along with a pair of heels.
- For another chic look, wear a long sleeved black dress under your vest with a pair of patterned heels.
- For a more causal look, wear your fur vest over plaid shirt tucked into a pair of dark blue skinny jeans.
- Sometimes it’s hard to imagine what faux fur will look like in an outfit before trying the outfit on. If you are stuck on what to wear with your faux fur, try on multiple outfits until you find one that works.
- Because faux fur garments, especially faux-fur coats, are so bold, it’s best to pair them with basic pieces.
Video: How to Wear Faux Fur: The Dos and Don'ts!
Pasta with Spring Vegetables
Fans waited hours to enter Toy Story Land opening day
When art imitates life
This is why the shell inside Kinder eggs is actually yellow
Kylie Jenner Just Revealed a Surprise Birthday EditionCollection
Surprising High-Protein Foods for Weight Loss
Moons can have their own moons and they are called moonmoons
Free People January 2014 Lookbook