Today's gamblers can play their favorite games in a way never thought before as possible. Instead of going to casinos to enjoy the weekend, it is now the casinos that go to their living room, courtesy of the Internet. Playing online was quick to gain popularity among gamblers owing to its host of advantages.
Just where are these online casinos located? Who are the people who own them? Who permits them to do business? Who regulates their operations? These are few of the many questions an online gambler wants to know.
Antigua and Barbuda is one such location. When I say "location", I mean the place where the casino's server is located or the place that permits them to do business...or at least the location of their business address, as its key employees may be located thousand of miles away from it.
Antigua and Barbuda is an island nation located on the eastern boundary of the Caribbean Sea with the Atlantic Ocean. This island nation is composed of a number of smaller islets around its two biggest islands called... you guessed it right, Antigua and Barbuda. It is a small nation, totaling only 442 square kilometers in land area, with a population of about 85,000 in 2009, a majority of which are Christians. English is its most spoken language and British culture dominates the many aspects of the society. The place is most famous for its many luxury resorts.
As a host to online gambling activities, the place doesn't have stringent requirements, and a number of gambling sites were on its roll. It is one of the first few hosting sites who have developed a comprehensive regulatory requirement for internet gambling operations. FSRC (Financial Services Regulatory Commission) is the body that handles the licensing services for internet gambling on the island.
Antigua and Barbuda became the center of media attention on 2003 when it requested the World Trade Organization to determine whether or not the negative stand of the United States relative to the cross-border supply of betting and gambling services are consistent with its commitments to the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS). The WTO ruled in Antigua's favor, and ordered United States to either open up its borders to foreign gambling operators or shut down its domestic remote wagering operations. The United States however, did not comply with the WTO rulings. Until now, stakeholders of online gambling are feverishly awaiting for developments on this David vs. Goliath row.
I just did some research on online gambling and the same theme kept repeating itself over and over. I am not going to site any statistics because I believe that many statistics can be wrong if not cited from a well conducted study.
What I did learn, however, is the following:
1.Online gambling is illegal in the U.S and is run be offshore casinos that move from location to location. These are remote locations which are operating illegally in many instances.
2. Moving from location to location creates absolutely no accountability or credibility by these offshore casinos. There are no legal controls on the games that are played by unsuspecting internet users throughout the world. The money lost to these unscrupulous casinos is in the millions.
3. Online gambling addiction has been increasing every year, and the individuals playing in online casinos are getting younger and younger by the year. Individuals playing in online casinos are underage as well, and can become addicted to online gambling at a very young age. This does not bode well for their future, as it is much harder to stop an addiction when a person starts at such a young age.
4. The addictive nature and availability of online gambling makes this form of gambling one of the most dangerous. Because a gambler can play casino games right from his or her computer, there is access to gambling 24 hours a day. The implications of this scenario are very disturbing indeed.
5. Internet gambling addiction is very fast moving, and therefore the losses can happen very fast. i Internet gambling addiction is also progresses very fast because of the fast action.
6. There is a software program that prevents casinos from being able to operate on your own P.C.
is an excellent preventative tool for an individual with an online gambling addiction. If you have an internet gambling addiction or know somebody who does, you must check out this software program.
It is hoped that you learned a little bit about the dangers of online gambling and the addictive nature of this activity.
For more help with a gambling problem, please call 1-800-GAMBLER in the US which is a referral source for help with a gambling addiction problem
For more resources about gambling addiction, please visit the link below.