Symptoms and treatment of ear mites in cats
If the cat does not behave as it usually does, it probably has an ear mite. And how to recognize and cure such a disease in time? Let's figure it out!
What is this disease?
The ear mite is a parasite of small size, living mainly in the ears of the animal. He is the causative agent of an unpleasant and rather dangerous disease - otodekoza. The insect feeds on the tissues of its host, for example, parts of the skin, blood, lymphatic fluid.
The disease is transmitted mainly through contact, that is, through contact with infected animals, but pathogens can also be located outside the host's body. Therefore, not only sick cats or dogs can infect a pet, but also any person who has unwittingly become a temporary carrier. Other insects can also be carriers, such as ticks, fleas or flies.
How to identify the disease?
The main symptoms of otodekoza:
- The animal will behave restlessly: scratching their ears, constantly shaking their heads, trying to get rid of discomfort.Unpleasant sensations can cause aggression or, conversely, apathy, as well as cause a deterioration in appetite or a complete rejection of food.
- If you look into the ear, then surely inside it will be dirty. But dirt is not a consequence of non-compliance with the rules of personal hygiene, but a mixture of dying off parts of damaged skin, as well as products of vital activity of ear mites. As a rule, the mass has a brown tint and forms a raid on the skin, which is often clogged.
- Due to tissue damage, exudate can form - discharge from the ears. They may have a yellowish, grayish or even greenish shade and an unpleasant smell, which is associated with putrefactive processes.
- The skin in the auricles may redden due to inflammation. An increase in blood vessels, hyperemia, edema are often observed.
- If you touch the ear, the cat will react sharply to the touch.
- Infection of tissues may form ulcers.
- The waste products of parasites and exudate can form traffic jams. And if such a cork closes the ear canal, the cat may lose some hearing.So if you suddenly notice that she does not respond or does not respond to loud sounds, carefully consider her ears.
- Inflammation can cause fever, but this symptom is not obligatory and characteristic.
- In severe cases, severe headaches, convulsions, a sharp deterioration in the general condition and other disturbing symptoms are possible.
Otodekoz is an extremely dangerous disease, especially if it is not treated on time.
- First, it can cause damage to the eardrums and cause complete hearing loss.
- Secondly, infection of tissues and blood threatens with sepsis, which can be fatal.
- And, thirdly, since the pathogens are in close proximity to the brain, the development of the disease can lead to inflammation of its membranes or gray matter, that is, to meningitis or encephalitis.
How to treat the disease?
As you have already understood, ear tick in cats is a dangerous disease, so immediate treatment is required. Detection of signs of otodecosis in domestic animals should be an unconditional reason for contacting a veterinarian.And even if you are sure that the ear tick is the cause of the indisposition, it is still worth contacting a specialist to assess the condition of the pet, conduct the necessary diagnostic procedures and confirm the diagnosis.
Therapy should be aimed, firstly, at destroying the causative agents of the disease, secondly, at restoring and regenerating the damaged tissues. The following remedies are usually prescribed:
- Ear drops. Their composition may include insecticides that destroy parasites, as well as other components, such as anesthetics, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial. Such tools are easy to use and eliminate not only the manifestations of otodecosis, but also its causes, that is, they act directly on the pathogens. The most effective are such drops as "Aurikan", "Amitrazin plus", "Otoferonol Gold", "Surolan", "Bars", "Tsipam", "Amatrizin" and others.
- You can pick up the tool in the form of a spray, it will allow you to fully and quickly process the entire inner surface of the auricle. The most effective drugs in this group: "Akrodex", "Dermatozol", "Prosoptol", "Cyodrin".
- Your doctor may recommend a local preparation for ear mites in the form of a cream, gel or ointment. Such agents fight pathogens and stop the manifestations of the disease. Often appointed averseectin ointment, sulfuric, Vishnevsky ointment, "Oridermil".
- Drugs of a wide spectrum of action are shown in case of deterioration and extensive infection of tissues, as well as in cases where the use of local agents does not give the desired effect. Means Ivomek and Oricin may be recommended.
- To strengthen the body's defenses and speedy recovery, the vet may advise immunomodulators.
- As part of complex therapy, you can use some folk remedies, for example, green tea, natural oils (almond, linseed) with the addition of essential (tea tree), garlic ointment, prepared from equal parts of vegetable oil and crushed garlic.
For the treatment to be effective, it should be carried out, observing some rules:
- Follow the hygiene of the ears. Clean them regularly using cotton swabs moistened with an antiseptic, for example, in Chlorhexidine.Remove all scurf, but do it carefully so as not to provoke even more significant tissue damage. Such procedures should be carried out several times a day, for example, before using local remedies.
- Before using the drug, carefully read the instructions to determine the optimal dose and method of use. So, the drops should be instilled into each ear canal. Next, you need to bend in half the soft part of the ear and gently massage the shell so that the active substances are evenly distributed over it and reach the goal. Sprays are simply sprayed, ointments are applied using an applicator or cotton swab.
- Keep all preparations should be in the refrigerator, but before use you need to heat them to room temperature. To do this, simply squeeze the bottle in the palm of your hand and hold it.
- It is important to conduct a full course of therapy to destroy the ear mite.
In order to prevent the development of otodekoza, you should observe preventive measures:
- Follow the pet's hygiene, especially the condition of the ears. Clean them regularly.
- Wash all the accessories of the cat: bedding, lounger, and so on.
- Keep pets away from stray pets.
- As a preventive measure, you can periodically treat your pet with an insecticidal drug.
Health to all cats and patience to their owners!
Why can refuse an Italian visa
Michelle Obama believes that food at the White House tastes better than at Buckingham Palace
The benefits and application of onions with honey
Recipe for home bagels
Dream window sill
How to make a potato casserole