Tips for growing garden savory
In the garden or vegetable garden you can grow not only ornamental plants, but also useful ones. One of them is garden savory. Find out how to properly care for him, as well as how to use it.
The garden savory, which is also called fragrant, is an annual plant belonging to the family of Yasnotkovyh. You can meet him in Central Asia and Southern Europe, and he is actively cultivated and grown in vegetable gardens and gardens. Savory stems are straight and branch practically from the very base, leaves are lanceolate and elongated. The flowers are small, usually have a purple or purple hue and form inflorescences. Flowering begins in July and ends only by October. The fruits ripen around September and are similar to the triangular dark nuts.
We grow savory on the garden plot
How to grow garden savory? This plant is unpretentious, well established and actively grows, so problems should not arise. For planting is best suited well-lit place with a fairly rich and light soil, which receives oxygen.It's good, if vegetables (tomatoes, cabbage, cucumbers) grew in the soil before the savory, and they were regularly fertilized with organic.
Planting savory garden is carried out in several stages:
- First you need to prepare the site. To increase the fertility of the soil, it is desirable to add compost or humus: about five kilograms per 1 square meter of land. When applying fertilizer, the soil should be dug by 20 centimeters deep and thoroughly loosened. And just before sowing the seeds, moisten the soil.
- Before sowing, soak the seeds for a day or place in a wet cloth. Then dry them. Then you can proceed to the landing. Seeds are placed in the soil to a depth of about 1 centimeter. The distance between the rows should be about 15 centimeters, between individual bushes - about 10-15.
- Planting in open ground is carried out in the second half of April or early May, when strong frosts have passed. If you chose a seedling method, then in March, sow the seeds in containers or boxes.
- After sowing the soil should be covered with a dense film, which will maintain moisture and prevent the rapid evaporation of water.
- After three days, moisten the soil again by watering it from a watering can or spraying water with a special hose nozzle.
- Shoots usually appear after about a week, and they are desirable to thin out.
Growing a garden savory involves care, which consists in following these rules:
- Watering. It should be moderate, as the plant does not tolerate waterlogging (it can lead to decay of the root system). In hot weather, you can water the savory two or three times a week, and during the rains do it less often.
- If the soil is poor and infertile, then fertilizing can be done by applying organic fertilizer. The soil can be fertilized twice: during the active growing season (development of leaves) and during flowering.
- Mandatory regular weeding beds to remove weeds that may interfere with the growth of savory.
- To saturate the soil with oxygen and ensure its access to the roots, it is necessary to periodically carefully loosen the soil, but not deeply - about two or three centimeters.
The composition of savory garden is very rich, and it includes essential oils, resins, tannins, mucus, terpene carbohydrates, organic acids.
Useful properties of the plant:
- This plant is very useful for digestion: it eliminates increased gas formation, increases appetite, has an astringent effect and stops diarrhea, removes toxins and slags from the gastrointestinal tract, helps with dyspeptic disorders.
- Savory has antiparasitic properties and allows you to fight with worms.
- The pronounced anti-inflammatory effect makes it effective to use the plant for the treatment of inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity, skin, urinary system, gastrointestinal tract.
- Chaiber has a bactericidal effect and destroys pathogenic microorganisms.
- The herb has diuretic properties, thanks to which it eliminates swelling and normalizes the functioning of the kidneys.
- An expectorant effect was found, so savory can be used to treat cough, accompanied by the formation of viscous sputum.
- The plant has an antispasmodic effect and eliminates excessive muscle tension, and also relieves pain caused by spasms.
- Savory is good for the cardiovascular system: it normalizes the heart rate, helps cleanse the blood vessels, reduces pressure.
- There is a diaphoretic effect that normalizes heat exchange processes and body temperature.
Collection and storage
Savory greens are best collected before flowering: during this period it is richest in nutrients. Tear off the leaves with stems, shake it off the ground, rinse thoroughly in running water and dry in the open air or use fresh. Dried savory is best kept in an airtight container, and fresh should be used as quickly as possible, as it deteriorates quickly.
To get the most out of the garden chaiber will help tips:
- Use the plant in cooking. Fresh, it can be added to various fish, meat, vegetable dishes. It fits perfectly with mushrooms, cheese, beans. A few leaves can be put in a light and fresh salad: they will give it a piquancy and a pleasant aroma. Also savory can be an unusual spicy seasoning for different dishes, but for this you need to dry it.
- For the treatment and prevention of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, urinary system and respiratory organs, use tinctures, decoctions and infusions that can be prepared from both fresh and dried leaves.
- Allowed external use of garden savory.So, you can use squeezed juice from freshly chopped leaves, and you can make oil, pouring the plant in olive oil and leaving it for a month in a dark place, and then filtering the product.
It is important to know: savory is contraindicated during exacerbation of an ulcer, during pregnancy and during breastfeeding, during childhood, with some serious diseases of the cardiovascular system, renal failure, and also with individual hypersensitivity. Before use, consult a doctor.
If you decide to grow savory on your plot, then you can do it for sure and be able to use such a plant for different purposes.
How to answer a guy
How to wash off the paint at home
How to gain authority in the team
Salat Krasnaya Shapochka already surpassed Olivier and shyby
Top 10 most famous festivals in Russia
How to quickly learn a big verse, English verse
Top 10 most useful exercises from yoga