What is tempura and how to cook it?
Japanese cuisine has become popular for a long time, and many hostesses gradually master its dishes. And yet not all are known and in demand. Do you know what tempura is? Be sure to figure it out and try cooking this dish!
What it is?
Tempura is not a separate and specific Japanese dish, but a whole category of dishes of traditional cuisine of the country of the rising sun. They are usually prepared from various seafood, fish and vegetables, which are dipped in batter, and then fried in deep fat. By the way, the name "tempura" in Japan came from the Portuguese language. It is translated as "time" and long ago designated a post.
During this period, it was possible to eat far from all products, but the list of permitted included such as seafood, vegetables and fish. And the popular way of cooking was just roasting in batter. Gradually, this concept migrated to Japan, where it became popular.
To prepare the tempura can be used a variety of products. The most frequently selected fish or seafood, especially shrimp.But also different vegetables can be used (cauliflower, Bulgarian pepper, asparagus), sweet fruits, less often meat. And recently began to cook and tempura rolls.
By the way, in Japan cooks are especially appreciated, who cook fried eggs only until light crispy crust, and the filling only warms up, but does not fry (but in case of raw meat or fish this option does not work). A batter is usually used liquid, and it is made from flour, water, and eggs.
How to cook?
Tempura dishes, as you have already understood, can be varied. Below are some interesting options.
This recipe involves the use of seafood as a filling.
Here's what you need:
- So, first prepare the filling. Shrimp should be cleaned, and also remove the digestive tract from them (dark strip). Mussels simply wash, and squid should be cut into slices, cubes or straws.
- Next, cook the batter. To do this, break the egg into a bowl, add water, stir everything, and then pour in the flour and mix again.
- If you have a fryer, pour oil into it. If not, use a regular high frying pan.It will take a lot of oil, as the ingredients will have to be fully submerged and free to float.
- When the oil boils, dip a shrimp, mussel or a piece of squid in batter and place in a frying pan. Fry the tempore portionwise to a golden crust, if necessary topping up the oil.
- Put ready portions on paper napkins, so that they drain oil.
Tasty get vegetable tempura at home. To prepare it, prepare:
- 1 zucchini;
- 1 small eggplant;
- 10 stalks of asparagus;
- 100 grams of cauliflower;
- 1.5 cups cold water;
- 1 egg;
- 1.5 cups flour;
- vegetable oil.
- First you need to prepare all the vegetables. Zucchini cut into slices, also act with eggplant. If the skin is thick, then it can be removed. Cauliflower must be divided into inflorescences. And just wash the asparagus and cut it into small pieces. Then you can put all the vegetables in boiling water or boil for a minute. Also baking is allowed.
- Now you can prepare the batter. Mix the cold water with the egg, continue to mix the composition and add the flour. In the end, you should get a batter.
- Heat the oil in a pan and, dipping the vegetables in a batter, fry them until a light brown crust appears, and then fold them onto paper napkins to remove excess oil.
Try to make a fruit tempura. You will need:
- 1 apple;
- 1 pear;
- 1 banana;
- 100 grams of plums;
- 1.5 cups flour;
- 1.5 glasses of water;
- 1 egg;
- vegetable oil.
- Peel and chop the apples and pears. With plums remove the skin, divide them into halves. Banana peel and cut into rings.
- Mixing eggs, water and flour, make batter.
- Heat the oil in a pan, fry the fruit in it, first dropping them into the batter.
- Remove excess oil with paper towels or napkins.
How to serve?
Tempura can be served as a separate dish or snack, but some supplement it with a side dish (for example, from rice) or vegetable salads (daikon is especially popular in Japan). Also on the table must certainly be soy sauce and wasabi.
Some recommendations to the hostesses:
- The dough is prepared according to one recipe. One part of the water takes a part of the water, as well as eggs (usually not more than two, they are used to make the mass sticky and beautiful shade).All this is mixed to make a mass that resembles liquid sour cream in consistency. But there is one secret - cold water. Yes, it should be extremely cold or even icy, only then you, first, get the desired consistency, and secondly, in the process of frying, you will achieve a light crunchy crust.
- To get the batter turned out to be like air, use mineral, and carbonated, instead of ordinary water. Gases in the process of frying in deep fat will form bubbles, and the shell will turn out to be porous, air.
- It is worth remembering that the heat treatment will be minimal, because the tempura is being fried in minutes, it is fried. And therefore, if you use raw or very hard ingredients, it is desirable to subject them to additional thermal exposure. So, shrimps can be immersed for a minute in boiling water (if they are large), the meat is better to fry, and hard vegetables (eggplant, asparagus) can be baked, lightly boiled or problanshirovat.
- For tempura dishes to be tasty and practically like those of the best Japanese chefs, instead of the usual wheat flour, use a special tempur flour, which usually consists of rice flour, wheat flour, and also starch (it can be replaced with corn flour) and sometimes spices (for example, garlic) .
- It is desirable to sift the flour, then the dough will be more airy.
- The oil used for frying must be refined and deodorized, so that the finished dish does not have foreign odors.
Bon appetit to you, your family and guests!
Bob Dylan received the Nobel Prize in literature
How to remove the speed limiter
How to get a flu shot in 2017
It can be longer How to prolong the tan so that it does not wash off in a week
How to teach a child to the pot - tips and action plan