Why are we afraid of dentists?
A doctor who is afraid of everyone, regardless of age, is, of course, a dentist. A visit to him, as a rule, is postponed until the moment when the pain in the tooth cannot be relieved by any painkillers. And then we are gaining courage for a long time and still cross the threshold of this ill-fated cabinet.
But what is the reason for this behavior? We, it seems, are adults and should understand that a doctor will not do us any harm, he will only help us to get rid of this terrible toothache. But no, we are ready to do anything, just to not enter the dental office. But if adults behave this way, then what about children?
After all, they are more sensitive to pain. There is even a disease called dentophobia or stomatophobia, which is characterized by panic fear of everything related to dental treatment. Why are we so afraid of dentists?
Causes of fear of the dentist:
- Fear of feeling pain. As a rule, visits to most doctors end painlessly.But visiting the dentist is always associated with painful sensations. We know in advance that in the dental office it will definitely hurt us. Therefore, we are afraid to cross its threshold.
- Bright childhood memories of painful dentistry. As a rule, the roots of all fears go back to childhood, and fear of dentists is no exception. Children feel pain more. Therefore, the unpleasant, painful sensations received in the doctor's chair, remain in the memory for a long time, and, being adults, it is very difficult for us to get rid of this fear.
- Fear of dental instruments. Some people are terrified only by the sound of a dental drill and its menacing appearance. To all this, you can still add an unpleasant burning smell when drilling teeth, which can also be the cause of dislike for dentists.
- Violation of personal space. The mouth is a very sensitive part of the body with many nerve endings. We are uncomfortable when someone climbs there, especially with different tools, albeit with good intentions. In addition, not everyone can boast of perfect teeth, and a visit to the dentist will necessarily reveal all the flaws.Many are ashamed of not watching the condition of their teeth at the proper level.
- Fear of medical error. There are many stories about how dentists can harm not only teeth, but also human health in general. Starting with an incorrectly pulled out tooth and ending with various horror films about drilled cheeks and pus, which can be formed due to poor-quality tooth treatment, and spread to the brain.
- Heredity. Spanish scientists have discovered that the fear of dentists is inherited, and more so on the maternal line.
What to do to overcome this fear? After all, the health of teeth is a guarantee of the health of the whole organism. Therefore, it is very important not to be afraid to seek help from a doctor in time.
How to get rid of fear?
When dealing with any fear, the most important thing is to identify the reason for its appearance. In the case of the fear of dentists, everything is clear. Therefore, you can proceed to the second point, namely to work on your behavior. Here are some tips that will help, if not get rid of, then at least reduce the fear of a dentist.
- Choose a clinic and a doctor.A person always feels more at ease in a place that is familiar to him, and the dentist's office is no exception. Of course, when the tooth is sore, the only desire is to go to the nearest clinic and quickly get rid of this pain. But it will further increase your fear. So when you do not have any pain, you need to find a clinic that will suit you in every way. Read all the reviews about the doctors who work there. Then ask the administrator of the clinic to recommend a dentist, but specify that you are afraid to treat your teeth. Then, having decided on the doctor, go to him for a routine examination. Observe how the dentist behaves, if you are comfortable in his presence, then the next time you have a toothache, you can immediately seek help from an already familiar dentist for you without fear.
- Examine existing dental treatments and medications. You will be much calmer if you know what the doctor is doing. You do not need to know all the nuances, you just have to be a little bit aware of what methods of pain relief now exist and what drugs are used for this, as well as what materials are used, for example, for filling.In this case, you can monitor the work of the dentist. This will give you self-confidence, and you will not feel like a victim sitting in a dental chair.
- Familiarize yourself with the equipment. Modern dental equipment has stepped forward a long time ago, and now the drills do not work as loudly as they used to. In addition, the tools are constantly being upgraded. Therefore, you will be less uncomfortable in the dentist's office.
- Moral tune in to treatment. When you know everything about what awaits you outside the office door, it will be easier to tune in a positive way, and a good mood plays an important role in how you will perceive the treatment.
But if an adult can independently cope with his fears, then the child needs the help of parents for this. It depends on them how the baby will respond to the dentist. First of all, you need to choose a clinic and a doctor who can find a relationship with the child. Then you should bring the child to a preventive examination so that the first visit to the dentist is not associated with pain.
The next time you come to treat your teeth with your baby, keep calm,sitting in front of the doctor's office. No need to be nervous, as the child feels everything, and your fear can be transmitted to him. Warn the child that he may be a little hurt, so for him it was not a surprise.
Tell me that a kind doctor will cure a sick tooth for him, and he will not get sick, but for this you need to suffer a little. After the end of treatment, reward the child with something tasty or some kind of toy for bravery.
Beautiful, healthy smile adorns any person. For her, you can and need to overcome your fear of dentists.
How to use the blue shadow for blue eyes
How to choose a little black dress for full girls
Lentils with Rishta - recipe
Sports bra - a tribute to style or necessity
How to get a passport
Little White House in the forests of Sweden